Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager is a server virtualization management platform which is used to configure, monitor, and manage an Oracle Linux Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) environment. This includes physical hosts, virtual machines, storage, networks, and users. Oracle Linux KVM and Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager are two separate components that can be installed in an Oracle Linux environment.
Components of Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager
Oracle Linux KVM
KVM is a popular opensource hypervisor. Virtualization is made available through a kernel module. KVM is a hardware-assisted full virtualization solution. It provides virtualization with QEMU, a loadable kernel module and Linux
Beginning with Oracle Linux Release 7 with the unbreakable enterprise kernel (UEK) release 5, Oracle Linux KVM, the Oracle Linux server virtualization solution with KVM, has been enhanced. Users can configure KVM from a base Oracle Linux installation. Oracle Linux KVM includes support for Intel VT-x and VT-d hardware extensions along with Secure Encrypted Virtualization (SEV) for AMD-V enabled processors.
Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager
To support multiple hosts running Oracle Linux KVM, administrators can use Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager. It is based on the open source oVirt project. The heart of this management solution is the oVirt Engine, which is used to discover KVM hosts and configure storage and networking for virtualized data centers. The Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager provides a high performance, modern web-based UI.
Benefits of Oracle Linux Virtualization
- Oracle software certifications
- Oracle Ksplice support
- Zero down time security patching for hypervisor, kernel, and user space packages
- Rapid application deployment with Templates and Virtual Appliances
- Improved Oracle Software License with Hard Partitioning
- Reduce Operational Costs
- Only pay per system, unlimited VMs and containers, all add-on options are included in support options
- Oracle Enterprise Manager integration – single pane of glass management
- Oracle Linux
- Oracle Virtualization
- Oracle Products (Database, Middleware and Applications)